Cheap phase detect autofocus Canon Rebel T5i

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Humansvillian
Humansvillian Senior Member • Posts: 2,537
Cheap phase detect autofocus Canon Rebel T5i

Today in a Sedalia pawn shop I bought a cheap used Canon Rebel T5i for one reason (other than I love camera toys), to get cheap nine point hybrid phase detect auto focus.

My daughter shoots horses and riders at rodeos, and the 2004 Canon 350D I gave her has blazing fast and reliable aurochs, and this 2017 (the clock was never set on this one) Rebel T5i seems to be very much better.

Canon has made cheap glass for the Rebel series for decades.  Compared to an Olympus these look and feel like a cheap plastic blob with a flipping mirror, but they do take excellent photographs and by the Rebel T5i they had a fully articulating touch screen and wonderful continuous autofocus.

Am I the only m43 lover that keeps an old DSLR for action shots?

I can’t say I’d be proud to tote that black plastic Canon around except at rodeos, but if I ever get bored with it, I’ll bet my daughter will love it.

When a Canon Rebel has an “I” after the number (they are up to 8 now) that makes it a prosumer model to compete with Nikon’s 5 series such as the D 5100, 5200, 5300, etc.

The T5i was the first with an articulated touch screen and really decent 1080 30fps video, plus microphone jacks.

And it was only 18mp, so it doesn’t make huge JPEG files.

It has no Wifi, but today I got a “dongle” in the mail that I’ll use to zip the photos to my phone.

I tried it out a little in poor light, and frankly didn’t see any improvement in image quality over even my PL1.

The Rebel T5i also came out with a really neat EFS-STM 18-55 kit lens that’s silent and fast to focus.

My daughter has a 55-250 EFS IS lens I gave her that should make this a good, cheap action camera rig.

-- hide signature --

Humansville is a town in the Missouri Ozarks

Humansvillian's gear list:Humansvillian's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +13 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow