Nikon to Cell Phone Camera

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Thomas166
OP Thomas166 Regular Member • Posts: 435
Re: Nikon to Cell Phone Camera

Patrick T. Kelly wrote:

Thomas166 didn't say what his interest is in photography. My brother-in-law photographs birds and I would not suggest he go with a phone today but my brother-in-law isn't interest in photography. Just in bird pictures.

Me? I just enjoy taking photos. I enjoy it with a YashicaMat in 1962 and I enjoy it with a Sony Experia 5 II in 2021. I'm not a pixel peeper so comparing my 2 1/4 film with 35 mm film with various digital sensors is pointless. What is the point, for me, is does my camera produce photos that meet my needs.

I also don't do much telephoto. I'm a city-dweller now and stalk the streets and wide-angle is in play more often then telephoto.

Thomas166 also didn't say why he was even considering a phone camera. I'll be 80 this year and while I still enjoy stalking the streets and loitering in the churches, markets, and parks I don't want to haul a gadget bag with lenses and filters--although I wish I could get a polarizing and a neutral density filter for my phone--around any longer.

At one point in the digital revolution I quit enjoying photography. So, I did a chart on the steps and rated each step for enjoyment. Then I kept track of how I was spending my photographic time. I discovered that I was spending the most time sitting in front of the computer "editing" photographs when that was what I enjoyed the least. I took care of that, for me, and the enjoyment I got from photography returned.

I also went with Huawai, before the Google ban, and computational photography. That wasn't as much fun for me so I shifted to the Sony Experia. For me, it's less computational and more photography.

Lastly, if my budget was fixed at $500 I would look at a top of the line phone from a year ago. $500 would get you a used-like new Huawei P30 pro or maybe a new P30 pro.

I'm deaf and don't do "phones" so I was late coming to phones, too. The advances in digital over the last twenty years is awesome and over the last eight years in phone cameras is amazing.

I guess one of my reason is that if I'm out just running around or at a family event it would be nice to have a phone camera instead of a large camera. At a family or friend event if you have a large camera with external flash everyone want you to stop eating or talking and start taking photos of the them and the event. My main photography is wildlife, birds, deer, elk, etc. and macro.

Thomas166's gear list:Thomas166's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950 Nikon D5500 Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow