Look ma, two Expeed processors!!!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Siobhan_K Regular Member • Posts: 225
Getting Beyond Marketing . . . Someday?

csn wrote:

Adding a second Expeed 6 processor in the Z x II bodies seems to be a kinda "slapping lipstick on a pig" solution adding a lot of complexity, both in hardware and software, for a marginal gain at best.

My guess is, bringing these bodies to market was a bit of an act of desperation on Nikon's part trying to bridge the gap to the competition.

And so, if Nikon had simply called whatever's in the Z[x]ii bodies a "next generation multi-core Expeed 7 processing platform with TWICE the power of the previous generation!" you would be singing a radically different tune about the company's state of affairs.

Same camera body. Same silicon. Different marketing name and the DPReview story would be completely different.

What I'm suggesting, here, isn't some hypothetical. Camera companies (with every other consumer electronics business) have done this exact thing. What's in a name? How do you know Canon didn't do this with the last increment of the Digic processor line? How do you Sony didn't do this with the last Bionz?

Nobody at DPReview (including you) is taking camera bodies apart, unsoldering / denuding their silicon processors (good luck with that), sliding the chips under the old neighborhood electron microscope to study the transistor logic. Even if people here could do that, how many would understand what they're seeing? Would you?

What are the actual differences among any generation of Expeed (or Canon Digic or Sony Bionz)? What actually has changed from one model to another to merit a "version" distinction? Do you know? No, you don't. Nobody here does.

Sometimes it feels like 95% of DPReview is just ridiculous fictional controversy spun atop meaningless marketing-speak. None of it means anything at all away from one's screen, in the lived reality of using a camera to shoot photographs.

I mean, listen to you, writing about "adding complexity in hardware and software" like you know anything real about the engineering of either the silicon or the code! Come on. Rejoin us in reality, friend; the water's fine. We know you weren't in the room with the Fujitsu-Socionext engineers who conceived the "Milbeaut" logic and lithography Nikon uses. You couldn't make heads-or-tails of a layout blueprint. "Adding a lot of complexity?" How would you even begin to know what constitutes "too complex" here? And you certainly haven't reviewed the source code of any software Nikon might be running on whatever logic is in the Z[x]ii bodies. You haven't written or edited any of that code yourself. Nobody here has. Who are you to judge it from any perspective other than that of an ordinary end user, who's got hands around a black box?

From where I sit, you (along with pretty much everyone else here, including the DPReview "editors") are credible only when critique rolls from actual, direct, practical user experience with the product at hand. Like this: "I was shooting pictures with this camera body and found the performance to be [x]. Here are some samples." Anything beyond that--critiques of "too much complexity" in silicon architectures or "inefficient software code" and the like? Nope nope nope nope nope. Anyone in the mood for fiction: there's better material out there to read.

I don't mean to flame you or anyone or anything--I'm writing this with a $hit-eating grin on my face, in good humor. But this notion that Nikon is suddenly uncompetitive because its internal camera ASICs aren't branded or marketed in a way that comports with your (or anyone's) preferred armchair tales of the camera business?

It's just ridiculous!

Sheesh. Go shoot some pictures!

Siobhan_K's gear list:Siobhan_K's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
csn
csn
csn
csn
csn
NCB
csn
csn
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow