Help with purchasing new camera

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
winstonjdickson Forum Member • Posts: 53
Help with purchasing new camera

Hello everyone,

I'm in the market to purchase a new camera.  I will be new to photography but want something that will have a long life.

I have kids under 10 who moves a lot and will be doing sports and a puppy so I want something with good AF.  I would also like to take landscape shots and further down the road do some BIF (that would be further down the road because of the lens price).

I'm looking at something with IBIS because I have mild tremors in my hands and they're not that steady.

I want something that I will be satisfied with, that's the bottom line.

I initially started out looking at the Fuji X-T4 because of the rave reviews, I made a post in the Fuji forum and received lots of positive feedback.  And was about to pull the trigger.  But I've been reading the AF isn't the best and a lot of the positive reviews focus on the video (which is that big of a deal for me).  I've never shot Fuji so the Fuji "experience" doesn't really matter to me.

Then I started looking at the Sony A7 III but worried about the age of the camera and the fact that the A7 IV is coming out this year.  Then I started looking at the Sony A7C because of the good AF but then began wondering if it was what I really wanted.

Finally, I came to the Canon R6.  It is above my price point but its affordable but I wouldn't be able to purchase more than one lens right away.  So, I was looking at the R6 and the 24-105mm f/4L kit lens.  This combo is $3,599.00 and that would be the only lens I'd be able to purchase (for now).  From the reviews I read and lurking around here the R6 seems like a great camera.  And the lens received tons of favorable reviews.  The only negative about the R6 was the mega pixels.  But if I'm not printing huge pictures I should be okay.

Would I be satisfied getting one of the lesser priced cameras or would I be disappointed with their capabilities?

I know this is a Canon forum so I know there will be people who are biased but any information would be great.

Thanks

Canon EOS R6 Sony a7 Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow