SPP on Apple M1

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
OP hexxthalion Contributing Member • Posts: 545
Re: SPP on Apple M1

Scottelly wrote:

hexxthalion wrote:

Hi, it's been a long time since I posted anything. My current Hackintosh (yep, one of those) is too old now and am thinking about getting Mac mini with the new M1 SoC.

Has anybody tried SPP on these machines, what's the performance like?

Thank you

Yes, I tried the latest version of SPP on a 13" M1 MacBook Pro that a friend of mine got a few weeks ago. It's fast, but at 100% view the photos show upside down, and I don't think Sigma fixed that yet. It's not just that they are upside down, and you can just flip them right side up by hitting the rotate button twice, or something like that either. There is a real problem. Every time I tried to rotate the raw images from my SD Quattro H, they could rotate once just fine, so if I wanted to view them on their side, it was no problem, but if I tried to rotate them to be right side up it did not work. It would look like it might work, but all-of-a-sudden they would flip back to being upside down, and this would happen immediately. I could never view at 100% with the images right side up, no matter how hard I tried, and no matter what I did. I tried rebooting, turning off the computer, and reinstalling the program. I even downloaded it again, and installed it fresh. Nothing helped.

I figured it might be something wrong with the MacOS, because how could SPP work on other computers just fine, and not on the M1 MacBook Pro? Hopefully they have fixed the problem by now (either Apple or Sigma).

If you do get an M1 MacBook of some type, please let us know what your experience is like with SPP running on it. I'd like to report an update in my SigmaPhotoPro.com website. I haven't mentioned the problem there, because I was hoping for more information, and I figured I'd give it some time. If the problem has persisted up until now though, I would like to know, and I would like to make a blog post about it.

Thank you - will report back once I make a decision between Intel and M1 - still torn

hexxthalion's gear list:hexxthalion's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Leica M Typ 240 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow