Let's reverse the narrative and see what happens logically.

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 21,399
Let's reverse the narrative and see what happens logically.

When discussing "Crop" cameras compared to "FF", we always view it from an exclusive, "What crop cameras lack, compared to FF" POV. But I think when we view it from a "What FF lacks compared to crop cameras, it becomes less clear. And the issue is rarely viewed from that perspective.

Full disclosure, I am a satisfied Olympus m43s user, and I believe that the m43s, and Fuji communities (including the manufacturers) have done a terrible job in trying to steer the narrative in their favor. I'm going to use what I know best, which is the Olympus m43s system as an example, but from everything I've read, much of this applies to Fuji cameras as well as the seemingly abandoned crop cameras of Canon and Nikon as well (at least theoretically, we can't account for Canikon's marketing decisions).

M43s offers a significant Depth of Focus advantage over FF, allowing more forgiveness of sloppy focus techniques. Useful in birding, news, and other action photography. When I need a shallow DOF, there are workarounds, not only including larger, heavier, faster, lenses, but longer lenses, and software solutions. In the meantime, though VERY small and very good lenses, both kit and pro level, and some in between, are available for the times when DOF is not an issue.

The truth is, IBIS is MUCH easier to implement with a smaller sensor. I've read that the Olympus 5 axis IBIS has gotten to the point where the next step in IBIS is to account for the rotation of the earth. I don't think that advantage is going away. And in my opinion, THAT also mitigates at least some of the advantages of a larger sensor.

Noise, and dynamic range is quite good on my E-M5 III (and my E-M10 II, FTM). I concede FFs extreme low light capability, but up to about ISO 6400 it simply is not an issue, particularly when viewed through the perspective of a wildlife and action photographer.

The truth is, I will stack my m43s photos against any other brand of camera (FF, & smaller) out there in normal viewing situations. But I will have the advantage of size, weight, cost, and reduced camera movement 95% of the time.

Context is everything, Crop camera users (esp non m43s users) can you think of other things FF lacks compared to your system of choice? I'm genuinely NOT interested starting a flame war, though I concede it is possible if people think with their backsides and not their brains.

But I'd like to see the reasons you continue to use your crop system cameras.

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
lft
lft
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow