100-400 paired with A9/1.4x TE or A7IV in crop mode?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Geekapoo
OP Geekapoo Senior Member • Posts: 2,584
Re: 100-400 paired with A9/1.4x TE or A7IV in crop mode?

Much thanks to everyone for their comments in response to my post. As a follow up, I wanted to mention that I decided on the A7RIV, which I've paired with the 100-400 -/+ 1.4xTX. I also purchased the 24-105 f4 for more general use.

I'm very impressed with the new gear and obviously (it being new to me), I'm still at the early stages of sorting out how to customize the settings. In addition to sometimes having issue with camera/lens weight, I sometimes suffer from hand fatigue (perhaps cervical radiculopathy related...or the many hours generating Powerpoints and EXCEL spreadsheets throughout my career!). As a result, I'm working to sort out custom button designations and the type of repetitive movements that work best.

The good news as relates to wildlife photography is that I now have gear options that have better AF-C/tracking than before, have considerable reach and options that differ in weight (A7RIV/100-400 and the RX10IV). I may pick up the 70-350mm lens as an additional option if expecting conditions where I might not want to use the 100-400 (long hikes, osteoarthritis flare ups, etc).

Over the next couple of months, I will work on the conditions that works best for me for BIF photography (the content available online about how to optimize successful captures is fantastic, including the forums here!).

Again to everyone...much thanks!

Geekapoo's gear list:Geekapoo's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Sony RX10 IV Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7R IV +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow