Preferred lens for shooting indoor theatre?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
photolando Veteran Member • Posts: 3,295
Re: Preferred lens for shooting indoor theatre?

I don't shoot theatre but I do a lot of corporate events, which mean people on stage and getting full stage and zoomed in shots.

My go-to's are my 16-55 and 50-140.  I can pretty much cover what I need with those.  I have a X-T3 and X-H1.  I put the 50-140 on my T3 so it's stabilized and the 16-55 on mu H1 so it's stabilized.  No, it won't help with moving subjects but it helps me keep the camera steady and I just wait until they don't move as much.

With those two lenses you should be able to cover whatever if it's a dress rehearsal and you can get up to the stage.

Don't worry bout ISO.  Ask yourself how big are the images going to be when they are used.   Chances are not very big.  Website maybe?  Brochure/program.  Poster?  Even if, I doubt very big so you won't see a lot of noise in the final product as used.  I've used ISO 10,000 before since mine don't go very large and they look fine.

-- hide signature --

Mike

photolando's gear list:photolando's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow