Video review of 150-400/4.5 (Warning, 'bokeh' criticism)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Petr Bambousek
Petr Bambousek Regular Member • Posts: 398
Re: 150-400: Take A Look For Yourself

Messier Object wrote:

Petr Bambousek wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

Petr Bambousek wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

That’s the case with a bird on flat open ground with short grass, but what if it’s perched amongst branches or has long grass or bushes behind it

Peter

I found this topic, as I my website was mentioned earlier. It seems to be neverending debate again. Could you please tell me, if you feel anything wrong with the background rendering or bokeh or whatever it is on the following pictures? I chose those as example of more natural environment than short-cutted grass. Btw. those pictures are not mine. Thanks for your opinion.

Petr

three out of the four look quite OK to me. Their backgrounds don't distract my eye from the subject.

The top right image however has a disturbing/distracting rendering of the background. The grass, sticks, etc are not rendered with soft edges, instead the edges are rendered as high contrast lines that appear to be 'multiples' of the actual edge. This effect has been called "nissin bokeh" by some and is usually mentioned or discussed as an undesirable quality.

Peter

Thanks. To me, NONE of this background is ok (and not saying anything about purple owl). But as mentioned above, it is not fault of the lens, it is just wrong angle of view with little attention to the background. ALL of those pictures were taken with Sony FE 600mm/4.

I was commenting on the quality of the rendering of the out of focus backgrounds not of the composition of overall image compositions

I comment the same. And I say, I don't like any "background" of those pictures (not a single word about composition or technical quality). And I say, all were taken with prime 600mm lens with current price 13 000 USD. And I say, this is not fault of the lens. This is not even example how full frame renders background. This is example how one can easily create "poor" background results even with fantastic lens. Not because the lens is poor but simply because bokeh doesn't depend only on the lens itself.

Take the shot or not take the shot is what I've said all along, but if you take the shot because of something worth capturing I'd rather a lens that doesn't turn the background into a mess

Peter

This would be hard choice. If it is the lens who makes mess from background at pictures above, there is currently no other option on the market to solve it. Full frame 600mm/4 is bokeh master, you can not get anything better. But, as was told earlier, bokeh is not just lens ability (even very important role) but many other circumstances makes the results great - angle of view, light distribution or background structure to name a few.

P.

Petr Bambousek's gear list:Petr Bambousek's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow