Olympus Em1 Mk2 + 12-100 F4 PRO or Sony RX100 VII

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 21,391
Re: Olympus Em1 Mk2 + 12-100 F4 PRO or Sony RX100 VII

Nobody else has yet replied to you so I will have a go.  I have never owned an RX100, although I have certainly thought about it.  I do own an Olympus E-M1.2 but not the 12-100mm lens - I have the 12-40mm f/2.8 instead.

The big difference between these two is size and flexibility.  I don't think that you are going to find any significant difference in image quality - the Olympus might just shade it because of the larger sensor.  I also think that the AF performance with both cameras will be more than adequate for what you won't to photograph.  Both have in-camera HDR.  They both have many, many functions that you will never use.

The handling and controls will be much better on the Olympus because its larger body has more space for buttons and wheels - handling has always been a weakness of the RX100 series.  The Olympus EVF is probably much better as well.  However, if you are only ever going to use the camera in auto mode, the poor handling of the Sony may not be an issue for you.  For me, the handling was what put me off getting any of RX100 series cameras.

That leaves size and flexibility.  The Olympus is a pretty big camera with the 12-100mm lens mounted.  The Sony is tiny.  On the other hand, everything is fixed on the Sony, with the Olympus you can change lenses which greatly increases your flexibility in using the camera.

At the end of the day, you have to make the choice between size and flexibility/handling.

Personally, if I were in your position, I would be looking at the cheaper Sony RX100 MkVI or earlier cameras rather than the Mk VII.  I would also go for the smaller Olympus E-M5 MkIII over the E-M1.2, and I would probably go for two smaller, cheaper lenses instead of the big, expensive 12-100mm.  I would also consider the Panasonic LX100 MkII as an alternative between the Sony and Olympus in terms of size.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow