What is wrong with this image?

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
Skip
Skip Senior Member • Posts: 2,049
Re: What is wrong with this image?

MinnBen wrote:

This image is driving me crazy. Notice the lighter dabs of the background to the left of the flower. When I am editing this in Photoshop elements it is pure black. But when I look at it in the Photoshop Organizer, or here in this message, or in flickr I get those dabs. If I look at the image with an image viewer on my computer, on some viewers I get the dabs and on some I do not. When I go into Photoshop Elements and sample colors from the background they are all pure black. What's going on here?

Thanks!

I opened your photo in PSE 15. It looked OK. But then I went to the Magic Wand, set the Tolerance to 0 and clicked somewhere in the lower right corner. A lot of 'stuff' popped up that wasn't previously obvious.

I deselected and (on a duplicate layer) went to Enhance>Adjust Lighting>Levels and changed the lefthand box from 0 to 10. Then when I did the Wand again, most all of that 'stuff' was gone. (Maybe too much if you compare the two layers?)

So maybe the point is that what looks like pure black might not be 0,0,0. And if you just try to check it with the eyedropper thingy it might be hard to find some of those non-pure points to click on.

Skip's gear list:Skip's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Sony a77 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow