How to get rid of activation buzzing sound? Nikon Z7II

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Dodi73
OP Dodi73 Senior Member • Posts: 2,056
Re: How to get rid of activation buzzing sound? Nikon Z7II

PLShutterbug wrote:

Dodi73 wrote:

Sorry for my dumb question, maybe there's a simple answer but I am not sure where I should look for, or under which "term" to address it.

I am surprised that every time the Z7II comes back to active makes a buzzing sound. For a camera that should be as quiet as possible, this is annoying at best. Is there any hidden setting that avoids the camera to buzz? ( sleep delay aside which doesn't solve the problem anyway ? )

Thanks in advance.

SirHawkeye probably has it.

those who are suggesting turning off the IBIS/VR ... that is merely a diagnostic step, not a solution.

I have the original Z7 and have never heard any noise from it.

You don’t mention what type of lenses you are using or whether it happens with all ...

My suggestion:

1. Remove the lens and replace it with the body cap. Remove the FTZ if you are using it.
  2. Test turning the camera on and bringing it out of sleep.
  3. Does the camera still buzz? If not it is probably a lens. Try different lenses and see if it is consistent or only happens with one. If an F lens, isolate the FTZ to make sure that is not at fault.
  4. If it still buzzes I would call it a camera defect. Call Nikon support and see if it can be repaired under warranty.

Let us know how this turns out!

Thanks, but the thing is the camera buzzs even without any lens attached. Every time it's sleeping (say every 20 sec or whatever and the camera goes to sleep to save battery and you awakens it, there's a noise). Say you want to check something on the menu and press any button, the sensor or whatever awakens from sleep and BUZZ. A short one, yet still noisy. I'll try to record it, although I'm not sure where I could upload a short clip (say a couple of seconds). My point is in church and inside theatres it's weird that the camera makes noise even without shooting, only because you want to put your eyes to the viewfinder or touch any button. If the camera can shoot in total silence, why is a noise necessary to awaken it?

Thanks in advance, though.

-- hide signature --

All the best from northern Italy, Dino.
I'm on the NIK side of photography.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow