IQ: Primes vs. 12-40mm f2.8

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
StefanSC Regular Member • Posts: 315
My experience...

Compared to the 45mm f1.8, the 12-40 f2.8 is inferior at any aperture when it comes to sharpness but the zoom has better CA control at all common aperture (not a problem if you are shooting Olympus bodies :)).

Compared to the 20mm f1.7 (of which I had 2 over time), the zoom is sharper and so much faster to AF that any other comparison doesn't make sense.
I don't have the Pana 14mm or the Olympus 25mm f1.8 but I do have the Olympus 12mm and the Pana 25mm f1.7 for what it is worth.
Compared to the Olympus 12mm, the zoom has slightly worse center but much better corners of image and does much better in Hi-Res mode.
Compared to the Pana 25mm f1.7, the zoom is overall better. Not by much but it can be visible.
Also, the 12-40mm f2.8 is more like 14-40mm f2.8 at most focus distances (the 12mm f2.0 and the 8-18mm set to 12mm are both wider than it).
--
I hold the truth... A very specific, based on my experience and only relevant to me truth, but the truth nonetheless!

StefanSC's gear list:StefanSC's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow