FZ300.. Full-size out-of-camera jpgs (Pt.1)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Mikedigi
Mikedigi Forum Pro • Posts: 11,150
Re: Clouds

jlina wrote:

I used Sherman's method and focused on tree tops first. It works because the sun is at my back? It isn't blown right?

FOCUS - With my old FZ200, focussing on a small nearby subject without selecting spot focus, it sometimes focussed on the background. Soon I was instinctively focussing on an "easier" target closer to me, then swinging onto the target and adjusting focus.

Without even thinking about it, I now do that instinctively with the FZ330, especially if the target is smaller than the "green focus box" on my screen.

But birds in flight against a land, not sky, background, can be a major limitation of an FZ with its DFD AF system. I am told that Phase Detect AF on DSLRs etc is essential for this.

With your clouds, I am wondering whether your FZ1000-ii actually focussed twice, once on the trees and once on the clouds. or only once, on the trees. Both are so far away that you probably cannot tell by zooming into the image.

HIGHLIGHTS - "Reflective" might describe subjects more likely to have bright highlights.

When does a bright highlight become a blown highlight?

When you don't like it? . . . . . . Because I love it on my 3 Jug photos! More an attractive reflection than a blown highlight.

But e.g. a highlight is blown when it wipes out desirable detail, e.g. white feather detail on a Swan.

Re-thinking, like you, I like Jug Photo No. 2 more than No. 1, it has more impact.

Photo No. 3, with -2 highlights and +2 shadows, is more towards HDR (High Dynamic Range), and that whole slab of technology . . . or in some photos, one might simply call it boring.

They don't put chrome plating all over Harley Davidsons to make them boring.

Mike

Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus Stylus 1s Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow