I was reading the reviews of the LA-EA5 on Sony.com...

Started Mar 23, 2021 | Discussions thread
toughluck Veteran Member • Posts: 3,813
Re: I was reading the reviews of the LA-EA5 on Sony.com...

Ricky 92rt wrote:

toughluck wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Ricky 92rt wrote:

It's an up sell tactic from Sony. Do you think it's coincidence that it's working with "the more expensive bodies"?. The A6600 being the same hardware as the A6400 and 6100. Has nothing to do with battery they can drive the LAEA4 as can the previous A6300/6500

Sony don't want it to work with the cheaper stuff. Hard to find any other conclusion.

I agree, its such and obvious and jerk move by Sony. Just like that F3.5 limitation, which was debunked on the original A77.

The only dick move by Sony is that they never explained the technical reason for the limitation.

There is no technical limitation, you can jam open the aperture lever and shoot wide open with AF on any lens, Sony just hamstrung it (probably to push E Mount more or make it more appealing)

Yes, and you can mount a darker lens and it will AF just fine. That's why I said it was a dick move on Sony's part to never explain why it was necessary if there was a good technical reason for that.

Contrary to what you might think, Sony doesn't have very good fortune tellers on their payroll.

A77 was released in 2011 alongside NEX-7. Both had similar capabilities, but NEX-7 didn't have that many lenses for filming (aside from 18-200 which was specifically designed for filming with power zoom).

A77 also didn't have manual audio levels, still waiting for that firmware update lol

Point is there was no aperture limitation on that body for E Mount

A year later, Sony released A99 and touted its video capabilities. It took them another year to release the A7 and A7R, and 1.5 years to release A7S.

I remember the A99 AF-D fiasco too well so do others, so little support for many it wasn't even worth bothering with

A99ii also had it's not supported hybrid AF erm again that was another let's cripple it a bit, let's put people off third party lenses.

Question, did you try it with Tamron 70-300 USD? Did you see how badly it's prone to misfocusing if you use OSPDAF with it?

Remind us what firmware update the A99ii got. High end expensive flagship camera

Result= A bug fix lol

I'm irked by the lack of feature upgrades for A99ii, but I was aware of their lack when I bought the camera. I never looked at its feature set and decided that: "Oh, it's missing this <critical feature x> that I sorely need, but I know it will be added in a future firmware version, so I'll buy the camera anyway."

I was never under the impression that I'm buying more than I paid for with the promise of some future upgrade.

There was never a good marketing reason for the F3.5 limitation.

Claiming otherwise is arguing that A77 and A99 would somehow cannibalize sales of A6000, A7, A7R and A7S which were still 1-2.5 years away from their A mount equivalents.

Never underestimate the ability of Sony to cripple things

The LAEA5 is a crippled adapter, we know all these screw drive lenses can AF with video. We know even older bodies can support AF with screw drive (aka monster adapter)

Does monster's LA-EA4r work with those lenses? Yes. Does it work well with them? I never saw anyone claim that.

So the result is the same, it is Sony's choice to only have 3 bodies working with screw drive AF. Do you think it's a surprise that they happen to be the more expensive ones?

It's a deliberate choice, result is they'll get a lot of returns and 1 or 2 star reviews lol

We'll never know, but somehow I doubt that they get a lot of returns. Sure, a lot of keyboard warriors will leave those critical reviews, but it's totally counterproductive.

Let me tell you something: Whenever I shop for a rather expensive item, I research it. Then I turn to reviews to look at the negative ones to find out if the product has a high failure rate or any potential hidden flaws.

If negative reviews mention compatibility issues that are clearly mentioned on the product page or that you can easily find online, I roll my eyes.

Case in point, I was looking at MSI PS341WU monitor. It was clearly mentioned that it requires DisplayPort v. 1.3 (for HBR3 mode) if you want to use it in 10 bit color mode and there was a linked sheet for Mac laptop users to note which models support full 60 Hz at 5K2K, which only support 50 Hz and which ones will only support up to 4K2K.

There are tons of negative reviews saying that the buyer couldn't get the monitor to display 5K2K at 60 Hz. There are so many that it was hard to find the actual common issue that the monitor has (and shares with LG 34WK95U), namely image retention.

So no, I don't think writing negative reviews helps other buyers or helps Sony in any way.

By the way, if/when they finally make a firmware release to support screw drive AF with older cameras, what happens to those reviews? Do they stay online or can Sony delete them?

toughluck's gear list:toughluck's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow