great lens with fewer drawbacks than expected

Started 3 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dko22 Contributing Member • Posts: 936
great lens with fewer drawbacks than expected

I'm using the 80-200 with my Z6 so it's MF only. So of course it's not for faster sport and the like. But it is a very nice portrait and landscape lens. The rendering is the best I've seen on any telezoom -- a certain delicacy which is often missing from less characterful and more brash modern optics combined with great detail and excellent colour.

The softness which some complain about at 200mm f2.8 is probably in most cases an AF front or back focus issue, particularly near the minimum focus length. Although there is a little veiling flare and reduced contrast in this situation, this not necessarily a bad thing for portraits in particular.  Flare, fringing and CA are all better than most lenses of this era and are rarely troublesome.

MF is straightforward with the new mirrorless Z cameras and the IBIS good for three stops so no need to worry about the lack of VR in the lens. In conclusion, unless you need fast AF for sport and the like or must have the absolute best performance in respect of aberrations, there's no point in paying more. Of course the 70-200 S lens is certainly more perfect but it's also about 8x more expensive than I paid for this beauty. And it doesn't work with DSLR's.

dko22's gear list:dko22's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Irix 15mm F2.4 Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E +3 more
Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED
Telephoto zoom lens • Nikon F (FX) • 1986
dko22's score
Average community score
Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow