I was reading the reviews of the LA-EA5 on Sony.com...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
toughluck Veteran Member • Posts: 3,767
Re: I was reading the reviews of the LA-EA5 on Sony.com...

tqlla wrote:

toughluck wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

tqlla wrote:

IMO, they just limit A-mount lenses because they have some resentment or hatred towards us.

That's laughable...

Companies don't shoot themselves in the foot period!

-Martin P

Companies can and do shoot themselves in the foot all the time.

So you are telling me that when a company brings out a new, improved product, they should undercut it with their older product because it might upset a few peeps....?

I don't think so...!

-Martin P

Its called building good will. Fun fact, that usually helps your sales.

Canon isnt afraid of their old lenses hurting sales. There are probably 100x more Canon 24-70mm F2.8 lenses available in the wild compared to Sony Zeiss.

But here is Sony, consistently putting arbitrary limits on the A-mount. They didnt have to keep that F3.5 limit on the A99ii, it wasnt a threat to E-mount. But they did it anyways as a final kick in the teeth.

Now the LA-EA5's screw drive compatibility is limited to 3 cameras. They are just being jerks at this point. John Rando was able to get an LA-EA4 to AF without a mirror. Sony could do it too, but they choose to limit it to 3 camera's.

Where did you read that definitely, in no uncertain terms, Sony is not going to offer a firmware upgrade for older cameras to support LA-EA5 AF with screw drive lenses?

Some person sells an mod for the LA-EA4 to work without a mirror.... and you think that Sony hasnt figured out how to get the LA-EA5 to work with screw drive lenses A7iii?

And LA-EA4r works about as well as you'd expect for an adapter that makes the camera pretend it's driving a SSM/SAM lens. Which is to say, not that good.

Sony can't just release a half-finished product without proper support for older bodies and claim it's compatible.

Although I fully agree that Sony should be more up front with messaging and confirm these:
• Will LA-EA5 support video AF?
• Will LA-EA5 support screw drive AF with older bodies? If yes, which ones are planned to be given support?

I agree it would be awesome, but Sony can't afford to claim the latter because they would be liable to refund cameras purchased with the intention to be used with LA-EA5 in the future.

I do have to point out that A7R3 uses the same sensor as A99ii and A99ii shares a lot of OSPDAF processing with A7R3. Which means that at least A7R3 should have been made compatible with LA-EA5.

On the other hand, if Sony supports LA-EA5 fully on A7R3, people will ask why there's no support for A7R2 or A73. And if Sony adds support for them, then why no support for A7R or A72, and so on.

Any cutoff is always going to look arbitrary.

toughluck's gear list:toughluck's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow