Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 12,189
Re: Inorganic beach :)

Rightsaidfred wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Rightsaidfred wrote:

PaleRiderBaden wrote:

I took picture of beach with Fujifilm 1.4/35mm lens and it was total non-organic looking.

Very disapointed. I felt it looks more silicon based.

Maybe it was due to the beach? Or the weather? Or the PP?

I am happy with that lens.

Martin

I think he was referring to a beach is covered with sand which is silicon dioxide. interesting enough carbon dioxide is considered an inorganic rather than organic compound. ;-).

Haha yes you're right. And SiO2 is truly inorganic. Well, nature doesn't care about our artificial classifications

OTOH is is a history lesson. The classification into inorganic and organic materials is an old one. Chemists believed for a long time that there was a special energy in the organic compounds.

Kind regards,

Martin
(Chemist)

A lot had to do with organic compounds were predominate in organic beings.  Silicon has 4 outer shell electrons just as carbon does so there is a lot of similarities.  Back in the 60's and '70's non-metallic inorganic compounds classified silicon based while organic was restricted to carbon based.  But because of the 4 outer electrons and the flexibility of bonding chains and forming crystals - am sure it has the boundaries have moved.  There is even an engineering discipline directed at nonmetallic inorganic compounds - ceramics engineering.

I started out in 1965 at Purdue as a chemistry major.  I came to the rapid conclusion that a career in chemistry would lead to an early death.     Labs were not me so I found with mathematics I could get 15 hours credit with 15 hours in the class room - more time to party.  The die was cast.

Regards.

-- hide signature --

"The winds of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears," Arabic Proverb
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow