FZ300.. Full-size out-of-camera jpgs (Pt.1)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
jshen808
OP jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067
Re: FZ300.. Full-size out-of-camera jpgs (Pt.1)

Mikedigi wrote:

Franno83 wrote:

Hi John,

Reading this thread with interest. I may be looking to change my FZ82, looking for 1"sensor and a weather sealed option. How is the FZ300 in poor light?

Best wishes
Fran

Hi Fran, I hope you won't mind me commenting.

I am writing as a JPEG shooter whose ideal is to eliminate post-processing or at least minimize it. If you shoot RAW, do big PP, etc, I cannot advise anybody.

Having had several FZs over the years, I find the FZ330 by far the best low-light performer so far of the 1/2.3 sensor class.

Not for low-light indoor ice hockey or similar, but for stills or slow action. Depends on how perfectionist you are, I am not.

I use my FZ330 up to 1600 ISO for dim situations but I routinely shoot in Aperture Priority at f4 Aperture with Auto ISO and ISO Limit set at 800. But I often intervene and set ISO to 200-400 and use slower shutter speed.

The key is the bright 25-600mm lens with wide aperture (f2.8 but I mainly use f4) all the way out to 600mm optical zoom.

So for example, shooting small quirky or lovely objects in a museum or National Trust property, I am often using something like f4 aperture (or f2.8-f3.5) with 200-400 ISO and a slow shutter speed, as slow as 1/10 sec but preferably 1/20 sec and faster.

This thread, John's thread, is coming up with some good ideas for improving the SOOC (Straight Out Of Camera) results of the FZ330 in all shooting conditions.

I owned an FZ1000 alongside the FZ330 for a year or so and the bits that the FZ1000 did better were not enough to compensate me for the extra size and weight, the reduced optical zoom range and the lack of weather sealing. So I sold the FZ1000 and I am very happy with the decision.

At around £375 right now with weather sealing, and less nearly-new (I bought mine from Panasonic Outlet on Ebay as-new for £300, about 3 years ago), the FZ330 is startling value for money.

All the best,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your great commentings!

Just to mention, this thread belongs to everyone,

for all of us to share so can learn from each other.

Let us all experiment with our FZ300/330 cameras,

and share with everyone our findings and results.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
(Feel free to download my pictures)
*** Photography is about fun ***
*** No response = ignore list ***

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow