M1 Mac Mini (16GB, 1TB) with 43" 4K HDR Samsung TV in scaled mode

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
MtnBikerCalif Regular Member • Posts: 229
Re: M1 Mac Mini (16GB, 1TB) with 43" 4K HDR Samsung TV in scaled mode

keeponkeepingon wrote:

MtnBikerCalif wrote:

What are the downsides to using a TV as a monitor. It certainly seems cheaper than any monitor.

If I calculated correctly, the TV is 103 ppi compared to 218 ppi for the 27" Retina iMac.

For a big TV neck strain swiveling your head back and forth to see the whole screen.

some TVs use flicker to fake dimming so that could be an eyestrain/headache issue for some. rtings has a nice write up on the best TVs to use for monitors:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/pc-monitor

Thank you, review talks about tradeoffs. I'm currently using a 24" 4K  monitor with my 27" iMac, so the swiveling should be less. It's a bit of overkill and unwieldily, but I had the 24" before the iMac and I'm thinking of what comes next—I'm waiting to see what else is released this year in Apple Silicon.

A 32" seems about right for me. Hoping for a 32" iMac but maybe I won't want to spend that much. One screen would require better organization. It's easy to put something on the second monitor and use most of the screen for another app.

But I also use a 2013 MBP at the kitchen table and for travel (which will happen again) and certainly won't replace both the iMac and the MBP at the same time.

MtnBikerCalif's gear list:MtnBikerCalif's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow