Rethinking focal length conventions

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Pixel Pooper Veteran Member • Posts: 3,954
Re: 6%

Phil A Martin wrote:

Pixel Pooper wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

Paul Pasco wrote:

My observation going back to the 70’s was that when you put a 50mm or so lens on a DSLR and looked through viewfinder with both eyes open, the size of objects appeared very close to the same

And this is the important point, not the angle of view. With a 43mm lens, the sizes would appear even closer.

This depends on viewfinder magnification. On my 35mm SLR sizes look the same at 52mm, but on my A7III it is 65mm and on my RX100 it never happens because the lens isn't long enough.

Paul Pasco said "through viewfinder with both eyes open, the size of objects appeared very close to the same" and I replied "With a 43mm lens, the sizes would appear even closer". Neither of us said they would appear exactly the same through the viewfinder as with the naked eye.

At 43mm the sizes would not appear closer. With a viewfinder magnification of 1 they will be the same size at 50mm. Most cameras have a viewfinder magnification below 1 so the sizes will appear the same at a focal length longer than 50mm. For them to be the same at 43mm you would need a viewfinder magnification of 1.16 which is not available on any FF camera.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow