Is Huawei Mate 40 Pro One Of The Best Camera Phones If Not The Best?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ryder78 Contributing Member • Posts: 655
Is Huawei Mate 40 Pro One Of The Best Camera Phones If Not The Best?

It has been a long time since I posted on this forum. I see some old forummers here such as Jostian still hanging around.

It has been quite a while. The Nokia Pureview 808 is still the best camera phone to me although I've used several Android phones since I have abandoned the Symbian platform. To cut to the chase, I currently own the Huawei Mate 20X and was wondering if the Mate 40 Pro or 40 Pro Plus has a significantly higher quality camera. If yes, I am particularly interested to know if the camera of the Mate 40 Pro is significantly better than the Mate 20X in low light or all shooting conditions.

I have always been interested in getting a quality compact camera since 15 or 20 years ago, say the Panasonic Lumix LX7 (now LX100) or Fujifilm X100 etc. but never really own one despite having the budget for it for one simple reason - it is likely I will only use the camera 1 or 2 times in a year and it will most likely end up in the cupboard or something most of the time. The same cannot be said about the phone as people use it every minute or hour of the day. Also, I am not much of a camera enthusiast and have little knowledge of manually adjusting the settings of the camera to take good pictures (exposure, shutter speed etc.) and mostly take photos in auto mode.

Hence, the only practical and most useful option is a phone with a higher quality camera than this Mate 20X. I have to admit that the camera of the 20X is respectable given its hardware limitations with the small size of sensor. In good light, the image quality is above average. In low light indoors, it is still acceptable but the images get a little smeared with noise which is perfectly acceptable due to its small sensor. I was thinking if the Mate 40 Pro will be a noticeable if not significant upgrade in performance given its slightly larger sensor of 1/1.28".

Is there anyone who has upgraded to the Mate 40 Pro or Pro+ and noticed higher quality photos with better clarity and detail in all shooting conditions, good light or low light indoors? I am aware there may be other phones that have a high quality camera but I don't know why I seem to like the Huawei design. I don't particularly like Apple or Oneplus, or Samsung due to the even higher price. However, if anyone owns the Samsung, Oneplus, Google Pixel or any other phones and found the camera to be better than the Mate 20X, please feel free to share. The main interest is still the Mate 40 Pro though.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow