Rethinking focal length conventions

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
f1point4andbethere
OP f1point4andbethere Contributing Member • Posts: 512
Re: Rethinking focal length conventions

mcslsk wrote:

f1point4andbethere wrote:

mcslsk wrote:

Wow. Intersting. You have a link to your portfolio? Would love to take a look at some images. Never worked for me. Group images, two, three people, never lined up quite in the same pane of focus. 35mm @f1.4 has what, 6cm DoF @1m, and 26cm DoF at @2m subject distance?

Absolutely, it's https://www.theeastcore.com/

I'm one of the co owners, and until the pandemic hit, we had a roster of about 12 photographers. Of the 5 primary photographers, we all shoot with Sigma lenses on Sony bodies, and almost always wide-open.

For group shots wide open, that's where the Sigma 35 1.2 has a distinct advantage over the smaller 1.4; less field curvature. I always look at where people's feet are planted as a reference to gauge their distance from me. It takes practice, but it's worth it.

Wonderful images, in particular the B&W. You have mostly the couple, or particular people in focus. That tells a story and is really cool. I am trying to catch two or more people in a shot and unless they by chance align, I need a bit more DoF to get them all in focus.

Cheers, thank you.

Everyone has different needs... To be honest, when I started this thread it was more about the focal lengths than the apertures, but I digress.

f1point4andbethere's gear list:f1point4andbethere's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a1 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow