Rethinking focal length conventions

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,452
Re: Rethinking focal length conventions

f1point4andbethere wrote:

mcslsk wrote:

Wow. Intersting. You have a link to your portfolio? Would love to take a look at some images. Never worked for me. Group images, two, three people, never lined up quite in the same pane of focus. 35mm @f1.4 has what, 6cm DoF @1m, and 26cm DoF at @2m subject distance?

Absolutely, it's https://www.theeastcore.com/

I'm one of the co owners, and until the pandemic hit, we had a roster of about 12 photographers. Of the 5 primary photographers, we all shoot with Sigma lenses on Sony bodies, and almost always wide-open.

For group shots wide open, that's where the Sigma 35 1.2 has a distinct advantage over the smaller 1.4; less field curvature. I always look at where people's feet are planted as a reference to gauge their distance from me. It takes practice, but it's worth it.

Wonderful images, in particular the B&W. You have mostly the couple, or particular people in focus. That tells a story and is really cool. I am trying to catch two or more people in a shot and unless they by chance align, I need a bit more DoF to get them all in focus.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow