Rethinking focal length conventions

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
f1point4andbethere
f1point4andbethere Regular Member • Posts: 444
Rethinking focal length conventions

I've been a professional wedding photographer for 20 years this year, and have gone through multiple camera and lens systems over the years. I'm definitely a prime lens guy, and have kind of settled on 35+85mm being my bread & butter with 20mm and 135mm being my secondaries. I used to do the Holy Trinity of zooms, but really prioritize the benefits of the faster apertures that f1.4 primes bring over the conveniences of zooms.

All of this being said, after a recent conversation with some other photographer friends, we came to the idea that our ideal kit actually doesn't really exist. This kit would consist of f1.4 primes of 20mm, 40mm, 80mm and 160mm. We were suddenly questioning the odd focal lengths that prime lens convention has settled on; 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 135mm, etc...

Is there anyone else here who shares the same desire for prime options in less conventional focal lengths? I know that 40mm would be my most used by far, followed by 80mm. I guess we can get close, but would love to hear some others thoughts.

f1point4andbethere's gear list:f1point4andbethere's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a1 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art +3 more
Sony SLT-A35
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow