Two DSLR with a Kodak CCD sensor

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,089
Re: Two DSLR with a Kodak CCD sensor

Mescalamba wrote:

Back then there wasnt tech to make FF and electronics that small. I think today it actually can be finally done, cause some cameras have "everything on chip", even FF ones.

Dont know if they got bare CCD and used own CFA (back then that wasnt as unrealistic as today) or Kodak just whipped something that reasonably fit specs they gave them.

But basically nothing apart Kodak own cameras and early Leicas have "Kodak color". and that magical CFA of theirs. Leica DMR was even tweaked on their request to resemble Ektachrome if I remember right. M8 was probably sorta left-over from DMR which didnt sell that great.

Given age, DMR was sorta achievement I think, only reasonable large digital back for analog camera (which still can be used as analog camera, if DMR is removed). Plus that DMR combo is sorta hand-holdable and possible to use in rather regular way.

DMR is more elegant looking for sure, but the 460c is pretty easily convertible back to an N90S as well, and it predates the DMR by almost 10 years. Kodak actually got in trouble with Nikon (I still can't understand why) for shipping the original F3 backs with the DCS100 in case people wanted to switch back and shoot film. But, yeah, the DCS100 wasn't hand-holdable; the DCS460c is.

DMR had optional AA filter and removable IR if I remember right. Same as Kodak own digital backs for 645. Sensor stacks back then wasnt that much "stacks" as today, when they are basically near impossible to pull apart.

That wasn't my point about the 460c. My point was that film is very thin, so its focal plane is very close to the back of the frame that holds the shutter and there is basically no space between that plane and the shutter. To convert a film camera to digital requires a sensor that can fit into the frame (so, smaller than FF, unless you're going to replace the frame/shutter carrier) and that has little to nothing in front of its focal plane, so that the focal plane of the sensor can sit in the focal plane of the camera without interfering with the shutter.

There is also possibility that CFA was really Kodak, just much cheaper and only to fit some basic color separation specs made by Olympus/Pentax. Pentax for sure has own idea about colors and pretty much all of their cameras seems to have nearly same or similar CFA. Even fairly old ones. Difference between 645D and 645Z seems to be mostly just CCD vs CMOS, not that much about CFA.

I read up on this a bit earlier today. Seems that some CFAs were glued to bare sensors after the fact, but these days they're applied as part of the fab process late in the cycle. At least that's what Wikipedia seems to be saying: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_filter_array

Given Ricoh can make own sensors (or at least could) its not unrealistic that they could either design and let someone else make CFA for them or they could make it themselves (which would probably also made sensors for them a lot cheaper to buy, since CFA is definitely not cheap part of stack).

Ricoh didn't acquire Pentax until 2011. The 645D came out in 2010.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +33 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow