The good, the bad, and the ugly (and the amazing!) - my P40 Pro camera experience

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
OP 2eyesee Senior Member • Posts: 2,288
Re: The good, the bad, and the ugly (and the amazing!) - my P40 Pro camera experience

Jefftan wrote:

" P40 Pro’s main camera that has been pointed out to me on this forum. The main camera’s lens is 23mm, but 1x zoom is 27mm" Is the the same for p30 pro or just p40 pro only?

No - the P30 Pro has a different lens setup. The main camera on the P30 Pro has a 27mm lens.

I've been looking at comparisons between the P40 Pro and P30 Pro on GSM Arena, and in their studio shots the P30 Pro definitely has more detail, as you can see on the image below. And just look at the aliasing on the thick, diagonal lines on the P40 Pro:

P40 Pro vs P30 Pro main camera - 100% crop

I've also compared the ultrawide cameras, and here's a great example of the terrible aliasing the P40 Pro exhibits along high-contrast lines/edges:

P40 Pro vs P30 Pro ultrawide camera - 100% crop. 20MP P30 Pro image scaled down to match width of 10MP P40 Pro

The full-sized 20MP P30 Pro image isn't great, but at least you can scale it down to P40 Pro 10MP size and it looks ok. The P40 Pro just bakes in this horrendous over-sharpening in 10MP images. There doesn't seem to be any way to access the full 40MP images from the sensor - even shooting RAW.

I'm pretty disappointed by all this - to see Huawei take a step back in some areas. Kind of wishing I had got a P30 Pro instead 

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow