Which mode (P, A, S, M, etc.) do you use the most and why?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
TeddyD Senior Member • Posts: 1,108
Re: av

peterpainter wrote:

jrtrent wrote:

David1961 wrote:

jrtrent wrote:

Tim Reidy Productions wrote:

David1961 wrote:

Tim Reidy Productions wrote:

you can make your auto iso such as 400-800 so you don't have too much iso movement.

ISO by itself does not create noise in any way whatsoever.

Most cameras have a setting that will get the camera noisy, on my pentax iSO 51200 will get you lots of noise.

It's amazing how much more leeway people have these days. I now have my dad's K110D, and my own Samsung DSLR is a clone of an even older Pentax. With these, I just keep the ISO at 400 since even ISO 800 shows enough degradation to bother me. Higher ISO settings on these cameras can also produce unpleasant color shifts. With only one ISO setting I really like (on these cameras, ISO 200 clips highlight detail a bit compared with ISO 400, so going lower causes problems, too), the TAv mode isn't something I'd care to use.

A friend's more recent Nikon D3500 seems to give output at ISO 1600 that's as satisfying as my older cameras at ISO 400. Auto ISO on a camera with such good high ISO performance might be fine, except I prefer manual mode so I don't have to bother with exposure lock or exposure compensation--those always seem like I'm fighting the camera to get what I want rather than just choosing and adjusting the settings directly.

If I choose to use an automated mode, I just resign myself to letting the camera do its thing; a person can still come back with a pretty high percentage of satisfactory pictures.

Bob Janes mentioned trying different things, talking about his old prejudices against P mode. I think I have a dislike of exposure bracketing, a carryover from my film days when I just couldn't afford to waste frames (and really didn't need to bracket once I bought a 1 degree spot meter). Maybe I'll try more automation, backed up by exposure bracketing, just as something new to have fun with.

ISO by itself does not create noise in any way whatsoever [pasted from above]. It is a low exposure, as I defined earlier, and the consequent low signal to noise ratio that produces noise.

But that's what raising the ISO does; it gives you the same image brightness from a lower exposure.

Not always.

For a given scene luminance

1. f/5.6, 1/200s, ISO 100

2. f/5.6, 1/200s, ISO 400

are exactly the same exposure and both will produce the same amount of shot noise but setting 2 will output a lighter image and the shot noise will probably be more visible.

I find that a strange comparison. Those two combinations of settings would be two stops apart in image brightness, so at least one combination is not something I'd use.

Me too, I tend to look at it from the point of view of needing a faster shutter speed for a particular aperture, so under-expose and bring things back in PP. Having seen the amount of shadow recovery I can get and read DPRs various articles on the subject I do that occasionally, but not being the most adventurous photographer in the world those occasions are quite rare.

That's just the usual nitpicking some people do around here. With the same logic one could claim the illumination of the subject doesn't affect on exposure, nor does the aperture or shutter speed. So what they are saying nothing does and they are both right and wrong becouse no single factor does that but in the same time everyone of them do as affect together and if they are not balanced right you get wrong exposure.

Basicly with film it was precisely the same. Regardless of the film ASA you could do exposure with "wrong" ASA setting and correct the "illumination" developing the film propriately with the exposure.

Waiting for it..

That's why higher ISO settings can lead to increased noise

No, higher ISO does not lead to increased noise but it can make what noise there is more visible.

An image of a low light scene with a high ISO will have less noise in it than an image of say a beach on a sunny day taken at base ISO because the exposure - amount of light that hits the sensor per unit area - will be less in the low light imsge than in the sunlit beach scene with a resultant much lower SNR than the image data of the sunlit beach scene.

But the lower SNR makes the noise in the low light scene more visible.

Although the beach scene image will have more noise in it than the low light image, the much higher SNR due to the much larger exposure makes the noise much less visible, if at all.

I have no idea what you're going on about here.

If I take a low light scene with a high ISO setting, perhaps needed for a handholdable shutter speed, then, at least with my cameras, it will be noisier than if I used a low ISO setting, which might need a handy stump or tripod for support during the longer exposure time. As one of DPR's articles puts it, "turn the ISO up on your camera and you get the same image brightness from less exposure but at the cost of noisier images." https://www.dpreview.com/articles/8189925268/what-s-that-noise-shedding-some-light-on-the-sources-of-noise

Same with the beach scene; using a higher ISO setting will compromise image quality compared to using a low ISO setting (though I wouldn't be raising the ISO for a sunny beach scene).

TeddyD's gear list:TeddyD's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony a7R Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Sony a6300 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
YWG
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow