Haag Lake

Started 10 months ago | Photos thread
jroy
OP jroy Senior Member • Posts: 1,460
Re: Haag Lake

mfinley wrote:

jroy wrote:

Comments are welcome. Thanks.

Sorry but this just seems like a snapshot, the composition and framing is awkward and lacks any place to start. I'm not sure what attracted you to frame this the way you did, what was interesting you to create this particular image?

You split the horizon in the frame, there are distracting twigs coming into the frame at the bottom right, a half-dead tree intersects the frame to the left of center, you're shooting off-center to the sun killing color, putting elements into half-silhouette, there is really no interest to the viewer in the foreground, nothing in the mid-ground, the possibly most interesting element is the peninsula of trees in the background in the left, but it's covered up by distracting elements.

To learn anything from this I think you need to explain what exactly you were thinking, your reasons for what you did.

To grow, I'd suggest starting at the basics and read up on all the fundamental 'rules' of composition and start applying them on each image you are creating as a foundation to start with.

Appreciate your candid feedback and all the points you mentioned. This was an unplanned trip this weekend, camera battery was barely remaining as I had not charged it for sometime. I took a few shots before the battery was over only because I wanted to capture the wonderful warm afternoon light as the sky had just cleared.

We were following the hiking trail around the lake and during the entire hike it mostly looking into the sun. Typically I avoid shooting in the afternoons, shooting into the sun. I was looking for something interesting in the foreground but in this case it was not there. Sometimes we shoot with the lights and conditions we have just to capture the moment.

I should have composed this shot differently to avoid the sun. Excellent point.

These were from 2 weeks ago on a different trip.

-- hide signature --

JRoy

jroy's gear list:jroy's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS 1000D Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow