Playing around with depth of field and I think I finally get it?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
PankajDubey Senior Member • Posts: 1,454
Re: Respectfully....

tedolf wrote:

Lilly, I am going to try to say this as respectfully as I can without getting this thread locked. I have read the responses but refrained from commenting until now as I wanted to see how things played out. As expected, you got some correct answers, some completely wrong answers and some confusing answers. This is what I have to add:

Photography is both a science and an art. The art of photography deals with composition, lighting, posing and timing (although some would argue that there is a science to those things as well). Things like exposure, focus, perspective distortion and depth of field are science, and many excellent articles and books have been written about them which have been proofread and edited by experts. The experiment you did to discover how "bokeh" works has been done a million times and with props better than yours.

Here is my suggestion: instead of spending hours trying to figure out how a scientific aspect of photography works, or coming here to the peanut gallery and getting conflicting answers why not read a book written by acknowledged experts recognized for their skill in teaching photography? What you struggled with in understanding depth of field you could have learned in looking at two pages of photo's and diagrams in probably five minutes. And you would have been positive that what you learned was correct.

I can't think of any better text on all aspects of interchangeable lens photography than Kodak's Guide to 35mm Photography:

https://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Guide-35mm-Photography-Techniques/dp/087985801X

Although written in the age of film, all of the basics are exactly the same. Just replace "ASA" with "ISO" and everything is correct.

Tedolph

I don't know how I ended up on this thread (maybe tracking Tedolf's post from a portrait forum) but this Kodak book is extremely helpful and uses the terms which a lay person can understand easily. Like use of bright or dark not 18% Grey).

or about Depth of field with examples:

There is something even better- if you register with archive.org - then, you can loan this book online for 1 for and skim through it. That part is free.

https://archive.org/details/kodakguideto35mm00east_0/mode/1up

HTH

-- hide signature --
 PankajDubey's gear list:PankajDubey's gear list
Nikon Df Sony a6400 Nikon Z50 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow