Highlight And Shadow Recovery From Scanned Negative.

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
SilverFast-LSI
SilverFast-LSI New Member • Posts: 6
Re: Highlight And Shadow Recovery From Scanned Negative.

Sourov wrote:

Hi folks. Thanks for all your responses to my previous posts. Everything was crazy informative and resourceful. Very helpful community.

My local labs does scanning in Jpeg format. At 24-36mp as they claimed. But, my worry is, Jpeg is not as good as Tiff, right. Would not that be a issue when I convert to Positive and wish to do Tone correction and Color correction?

Should I convert the Scanned Negative of Jpeg to Tiff and then do my conversion?

Thank you kindly for your help.

Hi, since Jpeg only has 8-bit of data allocated to each color channel by standard, it will be an issue whenever doing any conversions or corrections, besides the artifacts introduced from the lossy compression. Limiting the bitdepth to 8-bits will likely create bandings/posterization in gradients.

Just converting JPEGs to Tiff will not result in a higher bitdepth, this will have to be saved during the capture/scan stage. if you start out with more bits of color data like 12/14/16-bit and remain in an expanded bit depth when saved as 48-bit Tiff allows much more wiggle room when recovering highlights and shadows in post.

Safe scanning! - Jan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow