Canon EF 400mm vs. Tamron 150-600mm G2 + 2x EF III on Canon R6/R5

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
anthroposcenery New Member • Posts: 10
Re: Canon EF 400mm vs. Tamron 150-600mm G2 + 2x EF III on Canon R6/R5

I'll weigh in on the R5 with the Tamron 150-600mm G2. I've been using that combo almost daily for several months.

I have a lot of problems getting sharp photos. I am not sure yet whether calibration would help. For a long time, I thought it was Tamrons VC not playing nice with Canons IBIS. I think it's actually both that the lens needs calibration and that the IBIS doesn't work very well. The issues are inconsistent and I think I'm not scientifically inclined enough to really nail it down.

Anyway, when I do get a sharp photo, I am very happy with the quality, but it's to inconsistent to depend on if it's not just for a hobby. It's also possible there's a problem with my specific copy of the lens. Quality doesn't seem that great. I have had some dust get inside the glass and also the zoom-catch thing has stopped working. Kind of a bummer. I get that it's cheap compared to a 600 f/4, but still not a cheap lens.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow