R5 not sharp

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jmike72 Junior Member • Posts: 36
R5 not sharp

Hi,

Got my R5 yesterday, and while I was supper excited when having it in my hands, now I'm disappointed as images aren't as sharp as the ones from my RP. I read in some other thread (I can't find now) people complaining about a misaligned sensor or something like that, so maybe I have that?

First test I've made using animal eye auto-focus, none of the images come sharp and that was a shock to me. Kept on testing with spot focus and felt the images weren't sharp enough. I was testing with my RF 600 F/11 and RF 24-105 F/4.

While I could still go out and do a proper test, this morning decided to run a few tests from home and compared the images from the R5 with the ones of the RP on same conditions/settings.

RP images seem way sharper than the ones from the R5.

RP with RF 600 on tripod and IS off. Focus was the vent grid on the center. See the details on the tiles on the top left corner.

R5 with RF 600 on tripod and IS off. Focus was the vent grid on the center. See the lack of detail on the tiles on the top left corner.

A couple of other tests, handheld and cropped afterwords.

RP handheld with RF 24-105 F4 cropped. Focus was on the tail lights of the Micra

R5 handheld with RF 24-105 F4 cropped. Focus was on the tail lights of the Micra

While this is no scientific test, the results from the R5 aren't as good as the RP.

jmike72's gear list:jmike72's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD Macro Tamron 70-210mm F4 +5 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow