Canon EOS R5 8K RAW Questions

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
FourSite Regular Member • Posts: 124
Re: Canon EOS R5 8K RAW Questions

Sgt_Strider wrote:

1. I'm assuming when shooting 8K RAW, the camera shoots DCI from the 3:2 area of the sensor?

2. Are there aspect ratio markers? If not, can I frame the shot with 8K UHD since it's 16:9 and then record in 8K RAW? Then I'll just drop in post-processing to get the same view if I was allowed to record 8K UHD in RAW?

3. It's been a while since the R5 was released. Has the recording time for 8K RAW improved?

4. I read that the grid and electronic level isn't available in 8K DCI? Is that true? I hope it's not. I would love to be able to impose a rule of third grid on the screen to help with composition and use the electronic level. Is this disabled for all movie modes?

1. In standard shooting mode you can only shoot 8k RAW in DCI mode, you can shoot 8k UHD but will be encoded in All-I not RAW.

2. Wouldn't it be better to record in DCI do this in post?

3. When the R5 was original released the biggest issue wasn't the recording time per se (15minute segments, estimated to be about 20 minutes, though I get closer to 35mins) but the cool down time required to allow the camera to reshoot once that time was exhausted. Suggestions were that the sensor to measure the ambient temperature to prevent overheating was disabled and so regardless of external factors the camera needed about an hour turned off before you could record again. With the updated firmware, this sensor seemed more effective, not only was repeated recording time extended but also the time to cool down once camera overheated was significantly improved, dependent on the environment temperature you could start reshooting in a few minutes.

In real world usage though the overheating isn't half as bigger a deal as the internet made it out. Unless you live in a hot climate or you want long continuous recording, post firmware update my camera rarely overheated to the point where it stopped recording. For vlog or b roll (basically segmented shooting where you're hardly ever shooting beyond a few minutes at a time) as long as I turned camera off during setups etc I could pretty much shoot all the time. The bigger problem is usually storage. I have 2 x 1tb angelbirds cfexpress cards and a 512gb sandisk. I still end up having to occasionally transfer files to laptop mid shoot.

4. Electronic level and grid is available in 8k DCI as you frame, unfortunately though they seem to disappear when you start recording video, although this is a canon quirk in all modes not just 8K, its hopefully something that can be rectified with a firmware as a lot of people have made noise about it.

Advice - If you're going to shoot 8k RAW I recommend you turn on the option to record 4k mp4 proxies to the SD card, this helps greatly with editing workflow, I use the mp4's for timeline composition, then turn to the 8k raw for colouring.

Just a quirk to be aware of, if you turn on canon log in the normal video menu, the proxy files will be in h265 encoded canon log files, these are just as difficult to edit as 8k Raw. If you turn off canon log, the proxy is recorded as 4k H264 IPB, easily editable in most decent spec computers.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow