Dealing with wind! OCF Outdoors Portraits

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
photolando Veteran Member • Posts: 3,295
Re: Dealing with wind! OCF Outdoors Portraits

Ms Bigglesworth wrote:

You want a windproof white surface for bounce: the wall of a building, side of a truck or van, an event tent (staked of course). Size of the surface and distance to subject will determine hardness. You won't be able to shoot willy-nilly: some location scouting is required.

Thanks - that works very well for models etc. where I'm conceptualizing and dictating the shoot - (done lighting from reflective surfaces like this many times) - but when the client says outdoors/nature and wants to shoot at noon - that means under trees in my mind - for shade and nature simultaneously.

Noon is nasty - so is wind! :-/

If "you" are dictating the shot then simply tell them you don't shoot at noon.  They don't know anything about creating portraits.  You do.  So educate them.  Explain to them later in the evening is a better time and opens up a variety of options.

I am sure there is a day they can shoot at a later time, if not the day they do want to shoot.

-- hide signature --

Mike

photolando's gear list:photolando's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow