Using a video mic for Zoom & Skype?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Entropy512 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,059
Re: Using a video mic for Zoom & Skype?

Phil1 wrote:

I have a Rode Video Pro mic which works well with my X-H1 camera.

However, I’d like to use the mic with my PC for Zoom & Skype, alongside a video cam for the video o/p.

Trying the mic with Audacity (with the mic’s high pass filter on & +20dB setting) it gives a lot of hum when used with a 3.5mm jack extension cable, so I can assume the hum problem will remain if I use it in Zoom etc. When the mic is set to 0dB or -10dB there is only hum & no signal.

My questions are is there a way to avoid the hum or, alternatively, would a USB mic, e.g. Blue Yeti, work with Zoom and Skype with no noticeable hum, undue noise or other problems?

Any and all advice gratefully received!

Many thanks

Phil

One observation for this approach, other than what you've covered:

Using a microphone and speakers will lead to some degree of echo issues. Zoom, Skype, etc have some level of echo cancellation, but it's nowhere near as good as simply eliminating echo by using a headset.

(Bad timing if you're in the US - both the base and Ultimate versions of the Razer Kraken were deeply discounted a few days ago in a one-day sale...)

Edit:  The combo of a mic like yours and headphones, instead of a headset with built-in mic, is also a valid option for ensuring absolutely no echo issues.

-- hide signature --

Context is key. If I have quoted someone else's post when replying, please do not reply to something I say without reading text that I have quoted, and understanding the reason the quote function exists.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow