XP-15000 thoughts...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,942
ABW outperforming profiles

The one thing I can say though is that the ABW mode outperformed most profiles. This means that adjustments need to be applied to the ABW settings - adding tints to colour files and printing with ICC profiles seems like a great way to use up paper and ink

One might wonder what "most profiles" does and does not include. I suspect that at least many profiles are built with standard matrices of 9x9x9 to 12x12x12 for R, G, and B, i.e., no weighting of more patches near the neutrals much less express attempts to achieve neutrality. Among the maybe-better options for those wanting to print B&W are specialized ICC profiles for B&W (at least some of the X-Rite software has a mode to build them, and I think some of the Datacolor software offers an 'enhanced B&W' option for profile-building) and some of the folks at LuLa have built patch sets weighted to more patches near the neutral areas.

I'd be very curious for one of you experts to do some tests of B&W photo printing e.g.

(1) regular matrix profiles (maybe around 1728 patches?) vs.

(2) pro-neutral-weighted matrix-type profiles (with about the same patch count as the previous type) vs.

(3) X-Rite B&W profiles vs.

(4) Datacolor B&W profiles vs.

(5) Epson ABW vs.

(6) IIRC some of the newer Canons have a mode similar to Epson's ABW.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow