Multi-row Milky Way Panorama - Shooting Workflow

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP indigoshrine Forum Member • Posts: 74
Re: Multi-row Milky Way Panorama - Shooting Workflow

nighthiker wrote:

Hi indigoshrine!

You know my preference for an indexed head to simplify a multirow pano. That allows also for a smaller overlap - around 25% - as there is no risk of a gap. That reduces the number of required frames and hence speeds up the total exposure time.

OK, no indexed head or a Benro Polaris available for now. Why don't you start with the foreground? I shoot the horizon line - not the total foreground - first and than the sky. The foreground is usually my last part. If you start shooting before astronomical darkness you can take the foreground first.

Even if you have only a few nights available, do some testing first!!! Even if it is from a bright park in a city: You need routine to feel safe for the real event. I would also recommend to do the full processing, even if you only see a few stars. Routine is what safes your image when you are under stress (and you will be under stress).

Might the darkness be with you

The DIY pano rig you have suggested is still my plan B, in case the Benro Polaris turns out to be underwhelming. Until then though, I will have to improvise with what I have.

Agree on the testing, already did that but only for general gear setup and how to move everything around for panels. I am living in the world's largest urban area without having a car, and can consider myself already lucky to spot the moon every now and then   - ok that's overdramatized but I literally cannot see any stars here, so the testing is very limited (albeit still helpful of course).

I thought 50% will be a safe starting point, but you might be right and I can try to go for a more modest overlap - especially once dedicated pano gear is available. I always forget about the fact speed is so important for night panos, thus any chance to reduce total exposure time should be considered.

Regarding starting with the foreground as in horizon, is there any particular benefit starting there other than the chance of probably still being able to catch some twilight? So if you say you shoot the horizon line first, transfered on my example that would be a row between C and D. Tracked, untracked or both? I assume tracked as you want the stars close to the horizon to be pin point, while the land part of this horizon row will later be blended over with the foreground exposures anyway ... What I want to avoid is having to do polar alignment twice during the shot, so once I switch off the tracker ideally I would not need it again.

indigoshrine's gear list:indigoshrine's gear list
Sony a7 III Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow