Exposure question

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Alen K
Alen K Senior Member • Posts: 1,276
Re: Exposure question

I think your background level is fine. Even at ISO 250, the noise due to the high background level from light pollution should swamp the read noise. I think also that a 200mm lens does give a good field of view for this event; no need to go wider. However, you could have rotated the framing for a better fit so that Mars to Pleiades runs lengthwise.

Saying "Bortle skies" doesn't actually specify what level of light pollution you have. The Bortle scale is a very coarse numbering system for light pollution, hence all skies everywhere are "Bortle skies." I'm going to assume you have a Bortle 5 sky but that's just a wild guess. The higher the sky brightness, the more total exposure you need to pull out the faint stuff. With your skies, your hour at f/3.2 will I think give you some decent nebulosity. But to get the really faint stuff surrounding the Pleiades, you would need much more, even in darker skies.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow