Barrel diameter restriction

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,801
Barrel diameter restriction

Probably discussed to death in the past, but being a new M-system buyer, it’s new to me. We’re awaiting delivery on an M6II and a couple lenses.  Pretty excited for the new set up as a small complement to our full frame RP gear.  Opted for the 18-150 and the 32 for a nice outdoor/indoor set up that will minimize the need to switch lenses frequently.

just got to thinking, is Canons self imposed barrel restriction on M lenses something that seemed like a fun marketing idea at the time, but now they can’t get out of their own way?   Or is the lack of demand a big hurdle to future investment?

I know EF lenses are adaptable but it seems like an M mount 100-400 with and external zoom would fit a fantastic small form factor and be great for wildlife.  I can’t imagine an M owner that would say, “You lied to us!”, and be mad if the barrel diameter exceeded some arbitrary number.

I suppose the Canon question is whether or not the investment would be profitable, or are most M owners the one kit and maybe one prime owners of past Rebel cameras?  A class of buyer that included my wife and I up until recently.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +7 more
Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow