XF27mm 2.8 mark 2 // X-E3 vs X-E4

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
wouterv Contributing Member • Posts: 616
XF27mm 2.8 mark 2 // X-E3 vs X-E4

Hi!

I'm looking into options for an additional body, mostly for street/travel. My main body is an X-H1. While the X100V is very attractive, I don't really need most of its specific traits (OVF, ND, leaf shutter,...), so I'd prefer to go for a cheaper option which will give me the added bonus of being able to switch lenses in case I'd want to. Hence, I'm looking more into the X-E line. I used to own an X-E2, and thoroughly enjoyed using it.

The obvious choice would be to go for the new X-E4, in order to get the latest tech in a very attractively looking package. However, if I'm honest about my real and practical requirements, I'm pretty sure the X-E3 would cover just about all of them at less than half the price of the X-E4. That's for a new one, body only, in a close-out sale where I live. The one feature which would've swayed me over towards the 4 would be weather sealing, but that didn't happen... On the inside, the 3 offers more or less the same tech and IQ as my X-H1, which is plenty good enough. As a jpeg shooter, I'll miss out on some of the newer film sims. While these would be nice to have, I think I can do without. Same goes for the tilt screen: nice to have for sure, but not a must for me personally.

I intend to put the money saved towards getting the updated 27mm. I own the first version, but the aperture ring (and WR) are enough for me to switch to the updated version.

In case anyone has already done a side by side comparison: how is the AF speed of the updated 27 compared to the first version? I've read the IQ is basically the same, but it's not clear to me if there's been an upgrade in terms of AF speed.

Thanks!

wouterv's gear list:wouterv's gear list
Leica Q Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow