Which brand lost most "switchers" to Sony?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Beatsy
Beatsy Contributing Member • Posts: 853
Which brand lost most "switchers" to Sony?

It's not important really, but I'm curious. Anecdotal evidence from various personal tales suggests it was Canon, but I could have subconsciously "self selected" that impression as I switched from Canon too - completely. But there seems to be far fewer reports of folk switching from Nikon.

In my case, switching was almost accidental. I wasn't being drawn to any other brand at the time, but I was very frustrated by Canon's "milking the cash cow" approach with such slow improvements and little innovation in their gear. That and generally being unhappy with the low-light and IQ performance. Always below expectations for me. Anyway, I was looking for an upgrade but instead of another Canon, I decided to explore the mirrorless thing by going mixed system for a while. To that end, I bought an A7rii and a Batis 85/2.

When it arrived I took a single test shot of a flower at closest focus, then pixel peeped it, then continued peeping for at least an hour. The sheer quality, sharp, pixel-level detail and lovely rolloff to creamy bokeh in that first image just took my breath away, and does so on a regular basis today (in A7rii and the other bodies/lenses I've since acquired) . At last, finally, I could see the image quality and fidelity I had always wanted/expected, but never got. One of those moments I'll never forget.

From that moment, I never used my Canon bodies again, ever. Mentally, I fully switched right there. I was shooting weddings and events back then, so I immediately got another A7rii, 24-70GM and 70-200GM and adapted my Canon lenses for a year as I replaced them with native glass. The only Canon gear I still use is an adapted MP-E65. Sony gave me what I'd been looking for all along, and continues to innovate in ways that I like. Not a fan boy, but a well-earned loyal switcher who won't ever be going back to Canon,

Beatsy's gear list:Beatsy's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +15 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow