Does someone have both a rectilinear 7.5mm and a 7.5mm fisheye?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
meow Senior Member • Posts: 1,638
Does someone have both a rectilinear 7.5mm and a 7.5mm fisheye?

I've been playing around with the 7artisans fisheye a while. That has got me interested in a rectilinear ultra wide angle like the Laowa. I know fisheyes have a wider FoV than a rectilinear lens of the same focal length, but I don't know how to figure out how much it differs, if that's even possible.

Laowa is supposed to have a FoV of 110 °. Somewhere I read that the 7artisans have 160 ° on mft. But that can't be correct. Doesn't look so from my shots with it.

I dusted off my school trigonometry and tried to calculate the FoV. I did so be making a wall in my room just fit in the viewfinder and measured the wall and my distance from it and calculated the angle from that. I got 115 °. Of course this is a ballpark figure. I didn't measure that exactly.

If it only differs a little I'm very interested in the Laowa. If it differs very much, not so interested.

I would be ever so grateful if someone with both lenses of both types would be so kind to take a shot with each of them from the same spot so I can see how much it differs.

The fish doesn't need to be 7artisans. Samyang or whatever clone would do fine. I know they are a little wider than 7artisans, but not so much that it matters. The rectilinear doesn't need to be the Laowa either. Any 7.5 mm should work.

meow's gear list:meow's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow