The cost of Sony vs Canon (A1 vs R5)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,361
The cost of Sony vs Canon (A1 vs R5)

So I am an owner of cameras in both systems but I do not own an A1 yet. I do own an A7RIV and A9 currently but have been evaluating a Canon R5 as well. Some background.
Shot Canon for 25 years, eventually moved to Sony full time in 2019 after using both for different things since 2014 on but have recently tried out Canon again.

Sat down to make a cost comparison. I know for Sony there are many more lenses and lower prices than I am comparing here but tried to stick to just RF L lenses for Canon and GM lens offering from Sony. So maybe the best for each brand (Sorry did not include any real good Tamron or Sigma for this analysis). Also for primes Canon is pushing f/1.2 vs f/1.4 like Sony so some will pick the system which might offer better glass vs better body since of course bodies change a lot over time.

As I thought, but have now validated, buying an A1 and Sony Glass is not going to cost you more even with the $6500 price of the A1. Sure there can be a long discussion on which are better products and there are other lens I would like to compare but there is no real Canon RF equivalent yet, i.e. 24mm, 100-400, macros although I did estimate the minimum cost I think the RF 35mm will be. Just trying to compare and start a discussion.

Also don't know if Sony will create new versions like a 50mm f/1.2 GM that I believe is rumored.

Just share your thoughts if you care to. Thank you for your time.

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +37 more
Canon EOS R5 Sony a1 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BTP
BTP
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow