Can someone explain this photo?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 2,934
Re: Can someone explain this photo?

Chris5437 wrote:

Shot on an M6ii with 1/4000 electronic shutter (in raw burst mode). At that shutter speed I would expect the motion to be frozen? At least hummingbird wings are frozen at that speed, surely this small bird is not faster than that. I'm guessing this is something to do with the electronic shutter? I am aware of rolling shutter for panning shots, but this was not that.

Does anyone know why this happened?

The electronic shutter takes just under a twentieth of a second to scan from top to bottom of the frame.  It manages a 1/4000 shutter speed by reading a strip of the sensor just over 80 microns wide at that scanning speed, in the same way that the curtains of a focal plane shutter don't open completely at speeds faster than the X-synch speed.

In this case it looks as if the electronic shutter caught the tips of the wings at the top when it opened and followed them down.  It's rolling shutter, the same as the bendy golf club or aeroplane propellor pictures you see from time to time.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow