FZ2500 or RX10 iv

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 9,898
Re: FZ2500 or RX10 iv

RJake1 wrote:

I took the plunge and ordered a Lumix ZS200 today (which I incorrectly referred to as a ZS100 ii above).
I hope to use this in lieu of my Sony RX100 ii as the Lumix offers quite a longer reach. Can't wait to test it out.

I'm still debating the larger models (RX 10 iv vs FZ1000 ii or FZ2500) but, heck, that's part of the fun!

I was reading through this thread and was going to recommend the ZS200 when I saw you'd already purchased it! I have been happily shooting with my wife's ZS100, occasionally missing the reach of my FZ200. The ZS200 has more reach and better handling than the ZS100, so I think you made a good choice.

The FZ2500 has a bit more reach than the FZ1000 II but it is a video-oriented product. It's "soft lens" rap in some cases may be due to its default out-of-box configuration that review sites often use. There may also be some build variability, so if it's too soft, one might try another before giving up on it.

The FZ1000 II is the best bang for the buck in the market today. Panasonic cameras have a reputation for not skimping and putting lots of features into their cameras. Competing models may lack RAW or a hot shoe or filter threads or articulating screen or performance but the FZs offer all that and more. (The exception being the consumer-oriented FZ80, which competes more on specs but has seen improvement as the FZXX series has matured.) For a stills shooter, the FZ1000 Ii would be my Panasonic recommendation.

Panasonic fans have been pining for a longer version of the FZ1000 but had to settle for the more refined mark II. With COVID and the shrinking camera market, it's unlikely we'll ever see that as Panasonic may let Nikon own that piece of the shrinking pie. But to me that represents the market that cell phones can't reach so I hold out hope. Years ago many were expecting a follow-on to the FZ200 when Panasonic surprised the market with the FZ1000 instead. And then the unexpected LX7 update to the LX100. Maybe they have another trick up their sleeve?...

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow