Advice for upgrading wildlife photography gear

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Torgontri New Member • Posts: 23
Advice for upgrading wildlife photography gear

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if you could help me with some gear advice.

I am a wildlife biologist who loves nature photography. I have been using a nikon d7200 with the kit 55-200mm and a Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 for some years now. I love that setup but I have got a nice new job with better pay and more field time and it's time for an upgrade.

Why I want to upgrade: the d7200 is amazing, but I have missed quite a few shots due to slow shutter and buffer speed. I do work in low light quite a lot, so I think full frame would be better. The AF is generally quite good, but I have missed good shots due to it focusing on the wrong thing (branches instead of birds, waves instead of whales, etc). I also like to shoot some video (although stills are a priority) and the d7200 is just not good in that regard. Lens wise, I've stretched the 55-200 as much as possible but it just won't do anymore, it's not great.

I thought about just getting a good telephoto for my nikon, but I believe mirrorless are the future and I am certain I will make the switch at some point, so I don't want to invest in DSLR any more. Maybe it's time to switch now, since I haven't invested much.

I am looking into Canon or Sony mirrorless, wildlife being the main focus, but also landscape. The Canon R5 and R6 look amazing, but I think they are too pricey for an enthusiast like myself, especially considering I'll need to get the lenses as well. Feel free to add some lens recommendations as well if you have any.

I'd really appreciate some advice, thanks a lot!

Torgontri's gear list:Torgontri's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow