Horsetail Fall, Yosemite National Park | Feb 2021

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lihkin
Lihkin Senior Member • Posts: 2,813
Horsetail Fall, Yosemite National Park | Feb 2021

Hi all,

I was able to check out 'Horsetail Fall' in Yosemite National Park this February. I was there from Feb 18 to the 22nd and managed to witness the event on 3 out of the 4 days. The light was stunning and the views magical as always (I last witnessed the event in 2016, when they allowed folks to be on Southside Drive - which is now closed). The permit system ensured that there were not too many people (still a lot) and I was able to climb up the cliffside near the 4 mile trailhead (500 feet or so, over lots of ice and steep inclines) to get to a nice vantage point. Here are a couple of photos and two time-lapses (over two days - really show how even if it is cloudy, things can change last minute). FYI, the time-lapses are an hour's worth of footage. Thanks for looking.

FYI for those not familiar with 'Horsetail Fall' - every year, in the month of February, the sun's angle is such that it back-lights 'Horsetail Fall' giving the illusion, that it is on fire. This event happens twice a year - in October and in February. During October, the fall is dry and hence one cannot see the event. Even in February, a few conditions have to be met before one can see this beautiful phenomenon - there should be sufficient snow melt for the fall to flow and the sun should not be obstructed by clouds around sunset (when this phenomenon takes place). During this window in February, as the evening sets in and the sun goes down, the light falling on El Capitan assumes a rich golden color. As the sun nears the horizon, the light falling on either side of the fall, gets narrower and narrower, until the light is focused just on the fall, giving the impression that the fall is on fire.

Time-Lapse #1: https://youtu.be/p6bbL7degz0

Time-Lapse #2: https://youtu.be/UwSO-MepgLM

Cheers,

-- hide signature --
 Lihkin's gear list:Lihkin's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow