Un-sharp pictures with 150mm-450mm

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mark in Stonehaven Forum Member • Posts: 59
Un-sharp pictures with 150mm-450mm

Hi,
I am getting quite frustrated by not being able to get anything like sharp pictures with my 150mm-450mm, either on my K3ii or K1.  In a static test I seem to be able to get a sharp picture but often in the real world photographing wildlife, it lets me down.  It will seem to be focussed (and i have done static focus tests) but often and especially in good sunlight nothing is sharp.  The pictures have a strange look to them where there appear to be bands of un-sharpness running roughly vertically through the image. Please comment on the picture added. It was taken today in good sunlight. K3ii, 150-450mm, F8, 1/2000 and ISO 640.  Camera SR was left on and I was balancing the lens on a bean bag.  The hares were not running very fast and 1/2000 should have been more than adequate to stop them. The second image was taken first with DFA 300mm.  Wide open at F4 but much better.

This is a cropped image but not resized.  Look at the grass. Parts are sharp but other part completely un-sharp. Not focussing, it appears at all distances within the frame.

Comments or suggestions on the problem or technique welcome.

150mm-450mm. F8, 1/2000, ISO640

This second image was taken using the DFA 300mm a few minutes earlier. Although my focus is not perfect on the hares you can see that the gradation from sharp to out of focus is much smoother and the sharp grass is much sharper. This is a smaller crop of the full frame.

K3ii & 300mm F4, 1/2000

Un-sharp hares and odd fuzzy banding in the grass with 150-450mm

-- hide signature --

Mark in Stonehaven

mark in Stonehaven's gear list:mark in Stonehaven's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM +6 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Pentax FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 Pentax K-1 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow