Is Infanview's comment section proprietary?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bgillies Regular Member • Posts: 243
Is Infanview's comment section proprietary?

I am looking for a way to attach captions to jpegs so that my great-grandchildren will know what they are looking at 50 years from now.

In Irfanview, when viewing a jpeg image and one presses the "I" key, a box opens that offers what Irfanview describes as "image properties." In the bottom right-hand corner of this box is a box labeled "contents." Press on that, and a comments box opens, where you could enter all sorts of text about who is in the picture, when it was taken, and so on.

My question:  Is this comment box exclusive to Irfanview? Could one use a different jpeg viewer and view these comments?

Some of my photographer friends suggest using the caption section of the IPTC information, but I often see jpegs that don't have any IPTC info attached. I am looking for something that will always stay with the image. One fellow says that putting as much info as possible into the file name is the only way to ensure the info will always be available. What do people think of this solution?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Jim
Jim
Jim
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow